Animoto Show

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Media -- On Line Meeting

In the midst of checking out media for this week's assignment, I get invited to an online meeting for a community group, and it was very cool.

We used GoToMeeting.com
https://www2.gotomeeting.com

I responded to an email invitation by the facilitator, clicked on a link that enabled security code, and the screen opened at the start time. The screen showed me a live view of the facilitator's screen, and to the left, a control panel with attendees, audio features such as phone or mic/speakers, and a live chat box. When we had trouble connecting two people with audio, they stayed in the meeting with live chat.

This type of format worked for me because I put my 5-yr-old to bed minutes before the start of the meeting, and I was able to put myself on mute for a minute to say goodnight to my 8-yr-old. If bedtime was not going well (but tonight, it did), I could excuse myself for a minute to take care of my boys, and not miss the meeting.

The best part was that I was fresh out of the shower wearing my penguin jamie pants, LOL! Thankfully, it was not a videoconference! Cool tech stuff, and I'm glad I used it.

This could work for school as well -- for staff meetings between multiple buildings, to include staff who could not be at a face-to-face meeting for various reasons. I also see this as a method for group discussion for middle to high school, with roles and responsibilities outlined of course. I found it very useful in my community life, so why couldn't teachers or students find a use?

No comments:

Post a Comment

My "Library" Blogroll

Just For Fun, Jigsaw Puzzle